We’ve all felt like we’re drowning in mud.You feel stuck, worthless, and confused. You want to move. You should. You have to. But you can’t. And then it evolves into anxiety, fear, and overwhelm.Many times, we feel stuck in life. You may feel like you arestuck in a relationship, in a job or in life in general.It happens to all of us. It’s a shitty mixture of feeling, paralyzed, depressed, overwhelmed, hopeless, being in doubt about the future and many other similar negative feelings.
If you are feeling stuck, you are not really stuck. You are only spending your time, energy and resources on the wrong things. As simple as that! It’s more than obvious that doing the same things and expecting a different result, is crazy. It’s actually the official definition of craziness.
Einstein said, “insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”. A new approach is probably all you need to get unstuck.
While feeling stuck is terrible in its own right, sometimes, the change itself, is so scary that staying stuck, is a much more comfortable place. Remember there is a rule: Kill the monster, when it’s still small. Well, don’t kill anything or anyone, but you get the point.
So, what causes us to feel stuck? As with all things personal and psychological, the causes underlying “feeling stuck” are complex and often unique to an individual’s life and personal history, so there’s no easy or clear answer. However, with that being said, some of the most common causes include:
- Fear of making mistakes.
- Feelings of powerless and hopeless.
- Discomfort with trying new things, and getting out of your comfort zone.
- No longer feeling curious to try new things.
- Self-neglect by putting others’ needs, in front of your own.
- Unrealistic self-imposed expectations.
These may be common feelings that everyone can experience at some point, but it is important to remind ourselves that all change begins within us, and that we are our own agents of change.
Ask yourself three important questions to re-calibrate and get yourself moving in the right direction again. –
- What do you want? Name it. Define it. Call it out. –
- What is stopping you? A belief or mindset. Fear. An excuse. –
- What do you need to do to obtain it? Now you can work to address the issue, but do so by starting small.
Here are five easy things you can do now, to help you get your butt moving, and you feeling “un-stuck:”
- Stop self-talk that begins with “I have to…” and “I should…” This kind of self-talk makes us feel automatic, oppressed and stagnate. –
- Make your self-care a priority. Take charge of and be proud of your physical and emotional needs. When we make sure our needs are met, when we feel good and look good, we are telegraphing a message to ourselves and those around us, that we matter, and we’re important. This type of attitude is crucial for implementing change when feeling stuck, and replaces feelings of powerlessness and hopelessness with the feelings of hope and optimism. –
- Do at least one thing you enjoy, every day. Whatever that is — whether it is reading, working out, or just sitting and relaxing, make it a priority as much as your other responsibilities, like working, paying the bills, and taking care of family. Doing the things we love, brings new and positive energy into our lives. –
- Take a break from social media. Several studies indicate that social media can make it hard for us to let go of our past, has a negative impact on our self-esteem, induces envy, and inhibits us from having substantial relationships. All of the above can contribute to feeling stuck. Limiting or taking a complete break from social media gives us time back, to focus on pursuing personal goals and helps us to live in the moment. –
- Be OK with feeling stuck. This may sound counter intuitive, but it’s not. Sometimes the more we resist an emotion or thought, the stronger it becomes. Feeling stuck from time to time is normal. Instead of thinking it is wrong or bad to feel stuck, allow yourself to be present in this emotion so your mental energy can go towards figuring out what changes need to be made to move forward, rather than focusing your energy on self-criticism about feeling stuck in the first place. –
- Do something outside of your comfort zone. Living life only within our comfort zone inhibits us from growing in countless ways. Figure out what you would like to try but have been hesitant to act on, because of fear or self-doubt. Make a conscious effort to become aware of what gives you a deep sense of joy and excitement.
Here is where transformation coaching can help you to discover what you really desire, as well as formulate goals to help you get from point A to point B. – If fear is what is standing in your way to achieve all the things you want, we can work with this. Fear will stifle you and it is often the main reason why you’re feeling stuck.
When you are ready to make the changes necessary to change this feeling and break through your fears, this transformation coaching programme will blow your mind. At Your Bright Future, we believe that in the moments that you feel most truly yourself, we can find the keys to unlocking those feelings of being stuck or lost, and make you start living a happier life.